I want to stay informed and keep up with what's going on in the world, particularly the "blogosphere." All of my journalism classes have gotten me excited about the new technology we have today. I'm excited about what this technology is allowing us to do.
I remember at a scholarship interview during my senior year of high school I was asked, "What is your generation's greatest strength?" After thinking for a few seconds I answered, "our ability to connect," and then I proceeded to explain. Yeah, most of what I said was a bullcrap answer that I was just making up on the spot because naturally I thought of what I personally spent time doing, which was Internet browsing, text messaging, and using myspace (back when it wasn't the graveyard of social networking). I don't think I responded as eloquently as I could have, and there probably wasn't enough thought put into my response. Needless to say, I didn't get the scholarship. However, I have since thought about that answer, and realized that it surprisingly contained a lot of truth. In a sense, it is my generation's greatest strength.
My generation has been inundated with SMS, blogs (although I'm a little late), iPods, and social networking since late middle school and early high school. We've grown up relying on Google for information, iTunes for music (after we found out that the government was actually serious about their online piracy laws), YouTube for entertainment, and Lord help us, Wikipedia for everything else. We get the information we want when we want it.
I guess I could ramble about this stuff all day, but my point is that where some see my generation as technological addicts, I see us as being blessed with opportunity. An opportunity to connect.
This excites me because I love learning. The Internet lets me get the facts when I want them. I don't have to thumb through an encyclopedia or scan several books to learn what I want. Besides connecting to resources and books, the internet lets me connect to people, which incidentally is another passion of mine. It's pretty obvious that people are making connections on the internet. It started out with chat rooms, and it has since evolved into AIM, Google Talk, Facebook, and for those interested in 32 levels of compatibility, e-harmony. I see the great potential for connection and I realize that we need to capitalize on this potential.
Alright I'm going to stop writing because I think I'm just rambling or writing like I'm writing a paper for class. I think I've restated obvious facts that anyone who stumbles on this blog would already know. I'm probably not really using this medium of blogging to its potential, but I guess that's something I should figure out. I will figure it out. Instead of writing a paper I should write to the people, at least on stuff like this. Unless I'm writing reflectively, in which case I don't need to state facts.
OK, that's enough for this bloggy blog. I'm hungry.
I'll need a trademark sign-off. I guess for now this will have to do:
God Bless,
Josh
oh reverse text. i think that's what it's called when it's white text on a black screen
ReplyDeleteNice links :)
ReplyDeletehey josh. it is a pleasure to read your blog.
ReplyDeletewitty and insightful. gives me that "feel-good" feeling.
ReplyDelete